Using Google to Get Your Business on its Feet
Owning a website is a great feeling and it can be a really encouraging feeling to wake up, get on your computer and start publishing content on your business website with the hope of it becoming an authority. However, just because you are very motivated to get up in the morning and work, that doesn’t mean that people are actually going to be reading what you’re saying. There is a lot involved in getting people to read your content. Fortunately for you, the world’s biggest search engine, Google, has made it incredibly easy for your website to be found and for your business to get on its feet.
What Google has done is created a relatively straight forward algorithm for those that are trying to rank in the search engines naturally. On the flip side, they’ve created a tremendous advertising program in which people, if they have the money, can forsake the constant work of link building and on site SEO. Here, people can buy ads on certain keywords and get traffic that way. Which should you use for your website? Which of these Google methods can get your business on its feet? Good question.
- Natural search engine traffic: Here is a great way to get traffic and the method is simple. Google’s algorithm is based on the principle that the more links you have, the better you are going to rank in their search engine. However, Google doesn’t just want any links. What Google wants to see is that you are getting links from other sites within the same niche as you. Getting links from a politics site when your site is about baseball just doesn’t fit and this could get you penalized. However, other than that, having strong, relevant links is the trick to get ranked. Sure, there are other details, but this is the basic method.
- Advertising Program: AdWords is a fantastic way to get traffic to your site, but it can be a bit expensive. In this program, you’re paying for each and every click to your site on the ads. The way this works is that you pick a keyword that you want to advertise with and whenever someone searches for that, if your pay/click is highest, your ad will appear and the visitor can click. A lot of people have had a lot of success with this technique.
Google can be a great way to get your business on its feet, but there are two ways to approach it. You can do the slower, but often times cheaper technique of natural search engine traffic. On the flip side, you can do the faster, but more expensive AdWords campaign. Whichever route you choose, though, it’s easy to understand that Google is a great way to get the traffic you need and want to your website. Traffic means money!
Using a Video to Market Your Website
As you probably know by now, at Tampa Web Design, we are more than capable to do a lot of different work for your company. One of the things that we can do is video production. Video is a fantastic way to market your website and the honest thing about it is that it is becoming the growing method in which people are giving information out on the web. It used to be text, but more and more people are doing video podcasts to give information out because they’re relatively easy to make and you don’t have to be an amazing writer.
However, let’s say that you don’t want to make a podcast because that takes too much of your time. Instead, you just want to get a video on YouTube.com that has a “find out more at our website” section at the end. In essence, you just want to get a ton of people to see your video and then want to know more, so they type the URL of your site into their browser. That’s a great idea and a lot of people do it to build traffic.
There are two methods in which you can market your site with video:
* Provide honest and worthwhile information. Make a video that provides a solution to a problem. The best marketers are able to solve a problem. People want to know solutions, so if your video provides it, they’ll love it. Let’s say you own a blog all about blogging. You might make a video about how to install WordPress the long way. This is an honest video that provides information. If people start to spread it around, you’ve got a viral video going.
* Do a humorous video. This is the other method. This can be sarcastic or just humorous. In this method, you create a video in which the point of it is to be funny so that it is spread around. CollegeHumor.com is great at this. They make videos that are hilarious, they get spread around and then people go back to the site looking for more. That can work for you too.
Video is a great way to market your site and you should be using it as often as possible. Don’t overwhelm YouTube with your videos, but if you could get one posted a week, that would be a great way to push a ton of traffic to your site. Try one out and see how it goes.
Tracking Your Traffic is Important Geographically Speaking
Thanks to a lot of great tools on the web, one specifically being Google Analytics, webmasters have been able to not only track how many hits their website is getting, but also determine where in the world those hits are coming from. It used to be that if you got a hit, yay, your site was getting traffic. These days, though, advertisers don’t just care about how much traffic is coming to your site, but where it is coming from. If they only own stores in New York, they don’t want to advertise on a site that only gets traffic from California.
Tracking your traffic geographically speaking is good for three reasons:
- Selling advertising. If you sell advertising, if you can provide to your advertisers to places that your traffic comes from, they’ll be more likely to spend what it is worth. General traffic is never worth as much as targeted traffic. For instance…Governor Corzine of New Jersey is advertising in the NYTimes because he knows that Jersey readers read it. Does he care about the LATimes? Not really.
- Knowing which promotional techniques are working. Let’s say you buy a radio ad in Atlanta Georgia. You check your stats and suddenly, you are getting a huge amount of traffic from Georgia. Chances are, that ad worked. But, let’s say you run the ad, but get no traffic. You know that it was a waste of time and money and don’t do it again.
- It can help you to target specific types of products. If you are selling a certain line of clothing that is great for the cold, but realize that people from Florida are coming to your site, you can go to your R&D department and get some clothing for warm days designed and in production. This allows you to sell to all areas because you know all areas are interested.
By knowing the geographical information, you will be better able to gauge how much to sell ads for on your website, but also what promotional techniques are working and if you need to develop some new product. It works. Geographically tracking your traffic is something a lot of webmasters are doing. Sign up to Google Analytics as soon as possible, insert the code into your website and then observe the results. You’ll be pleased to have that geographical information in your knowledge bank.
Three effective Web Statistics tools you can use to monitor the performance of your Web site
You need to monitor the performance of your website in order to know the kind of improvements appropriate to it. Suppose you want to increase traffic to your site by 5000 visitors per month with your current traffic count at 10000, you will have to launch a web marketing campaign in order to attract more visitors, right? Without a web site statistics program in place, it will be very hard for you to know the impact of your campaign.
Let’s begin by looking at what an effective web stat program will do to your website.
• Keeping track of the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly visits to your site.
• Tracking your visitors’ country of origin
• Keeping track of the browsers, operating systems and search engines that people are using to find your website
• Keeping track of all the inbound links to your website
• Tracking the pages in your site that are frequently visited
• Monitoring the keywords that people are using to locate your website
Here are three effective web statistics tools you can use to monitor your visitors.
i. AW Stats
This is a free tool that is usually incorporated in a web hosting account. It is a great web log analysis tool that should be included in your web hosting plan. Always discuss with your web hosting provider to find out if this program or a similar one is included in your plan. This tool keeps track of the number of unique visitors, number of visits, number of pages accessed, number of hits as well as the amount of bandwidth used. Using this tool will help you achieve almost all the benefits mentioned.
ii. Google Analytics
Incase your web host is not providing statistics for your website, you can consider creating Google analytics account whose code you will need to insert on your web pages. With this tool, you can keep track of the number of visitors to your site, their origin and the traffic sources that they are using to find your site.
iii. Statistics Counter
This is a free hit counter that you can install on your pages and use it to monitor real time stats on your site. Just copy and paste your code to the HTML code of your pages. You can choose to make this counter visible to your visitors or not.
An objective and focused marketing campaign will help you increase traffic to your site and boost your search engine ranking. Begin by taking notice of your current visitor count as you move on to monitoring your web statistics during your campaign period. This will help you measure the level of your marketing success.
The Things to Be Careful of when Getting Hosting
A lot of web hosts promise a lot of things, but when push comes to shove, they are very rarely able to provide what they say. I had an experience happen where I had a webhost guarantee that I would get five hundred gigabytes of bandwidth which is enough to get thousands of visitors to your site a day. I hit the front page of Digg and suddenly, my site was suspended from the web host. When I went in search of information as to why my site had been removed, they said I used too much CPU. So, I was screwed.
Fortunately for you, I have put together a series of things to look out for when looking to get hosting for your website. If you follow these bits and pieces of information, you are going to be able to protect your site and guarantee you stay up and running.
The first thing to remember is that a server typically costs about $100.00 a month to run on the web host’s side. Chances are, they’ll sell the server for $300.00 a month to make profit. I digress. Typically, that $100.00 gets 1 TB of bandwidth and that’s it. There’s no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. Here’s what a lot of shady web hosts will offer you with that one server:
- Unlimited bandwidth. Look…There’s no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. One server only gets about a TB of bandwidth. They can offer you near unlimited bandwidth, but the thing to remember is that you have to pay for it. The thing to look for when determining if a web host is shady is the cost. Are they saying you’re going to get a TB of bandwidth for $9.99 a month? They’re lying. What they’re actually saying is you’ll get access to a server with a TB, but you can’t use it all because they’ll also sell that same TB of bandwidth to another thousand sites. Sucks, huh?
- 100% uptime. I’m sorry, but there are always hiccups on a server. Whether they only last about ten minutes or they last ten seconds, there are hiccups and those ten seconds when there is a hiccup, people are potentially unable to come to your site. So, if a site says 100% uptime, I typically think that, instead, they get really bad uptime and are trying to get money fast. Typically, you’ll find web hosts getting 99.5% uptime. Crap happens.
- Ridiculously low rates. If you are being charged only $2.99 for a large chunk of hosting (even if it’s not unlimited), you should be careful. There’s a good chance that you’re sharing that hosting with a ton of people and therefore, are not going to get the benefit of all that traffic.
Knowing these details about hosting will protect you from getting scammed. There are a lot of good web hosts on the web. You just need to do some research and find the right ones.
The Different Types of Server Packages Available
When you’re running a website, you need a few things: a domain name, a designed website, content on your site, and oh yeah, the part that makes it run…The hosting. Without the hosting, you could have the most amazing domain name and a gorgeous design, it will not appear on the web. Someone has to put your information onto a server so that when a visitor comes to it, the server can display it for that person. However, when you go to a web host, how do you know which package to get? What does resell mean and shared? I hope to explain that.
- Shared Hosting: This is the typical $9.99 a month hosting that you see. Here, you are one of a thousand people that are all sharing a server. The hope is that you won’t use up nearly as much as they say you have, but will continue to make the $9.99 payment. Shared hosting is a great way for web hosts to make money and a great way to get a site on the web. However, if you’re looking for reliable hosting that won’t crash if you hit the front page of Digg, this isn’t the one to get.
- Reseller Hosting: This is where you get a chunk of a server and can basically resell it to other people like it was shared hosting. You can make the prices and then sell it off. This is also a great way to inexpensively set up a network. You can give each domain name its own cpanel and it cuts down on setting up addon domains and all that jazz.
- VPS: A Virtual Private Server is where you get a chunk of a server and it is “yours.” There are other people with chunks of server, but it cuts down the number of people on it so you can use up more CPU. Great for a mid to high level of traffic.
- Dedicated: The only site on the server is yours. If you’re getting a ton of traffic, this is the way to go. Get a managed one unless you’re a server expert. This way, you can know your site is up and running and can focus on other things.
Which is the one to go for? Shared if you have a tiny site that won’t get a lot of traffic. If you’re going to run an e-commerce site, you’re going to want to get a VPS at minimum because the software that is running will lag on shared hosting. A VPS is a great middle server. It’s not too expensive ($50 sometimes) and it does its job. A dedicated can cost $200, but that’s a server just for you. Go with a VPS if you need that traffic amounts until you absolutely need to upgrade.
The Difference between Building Links and Building Traffic
As much as people are told that building links leads to more traffic, there is a clear distinction in the processes in which traffic and links are built. Sure, there may be some overlap between the two, but when push comes to shove, the two are pretty much different methods. So, which one do you do? Both, of course. However, you dedicate different amounts of time to them and determine what your true goals are. Do you want fast bursts of traffic or do you want slower, consistent amounts of traffic?
Building links can be done a lot of different ways. Here are some:
- Posting on blogs with your link in the comment so that you can get a backlink. You do this a lot and it results in a lot of links
- Buying links on sites within your niche. This obviously gives some ranking.
- Submitting articles to directories with the hope that other sites will take it and then use it for their own site thus giving you more links.
- Submitting your URL to web directories. You submit even the deep pages so that you can get more than just the home page indexed.
As you can see here, little is cared for about content because all you’re looking to do is build bulk links. You want to get as many as you can so that you can rank more successfully in the search engines. It’s a good move, but is it the best?
Building traffic can be done a lot of different ways. Here are some:
- Write a really good article for your website and then submit it to Digg and StumbleUpon. Getting to the front page of Digg will send thousands of visitors to your site all at once and then the StumbleUpon traffic will roll on in. A lot of potential traffic.
- Write a guest blog post and give it to the largest blog in your niche. If it is posted, a large amount of traffic will suddenly be sent your way because you get a little “about the author” section at the end.
- Make a video and submit it to YouTube. If it is picked up, the viral traffic will be amazing and the visitors will come rolling in.
So, which do you do? I suggest a mixture of both. Obviously build your links so that you can rank well in the search engines. However, you want to get traffic as fast as you can. The building traffic should be your short term gains and the building links should be your long term gains.
Tampa Website Design, Web Development, SEO and Video Production
Although the economy is incredibly rough right now in the Tampa area, one thing that is for certain is that there are a lot of businesses that are starting to gain a following on their websites. The reason for this is because, with the help of search engines, people are finding all the information they need to about that company on the web which makes it a favorite for consumers. What customers want the most is an easy experience. That is why they love Wal-Mart. Because everything they need is provided for them, they love it. So, the easier it is for your customers to find information out about you, the more likely they are to become loyal customers.
It is because of this that you want to invest in web design. Contacting your local Tampa Website Design studio is a really good call. By contacting us, what you’ll find is that you’ll be able to get help with everything that you want for your website without worrying about your work being cheap or low quality. The work that we do is exceptional and you don’t need to worry about garbage. We make our websites look like they cost a ton of money without actually having to cost a ton of money.
The way it works is simple. You’ll contact us and tell us that you want to get a website made. We’ll schedule a time for all of us to sit down and discuss all the details for your website. Then, we’ll start to put together all the details you described and put it into website form. We’ll help you get your domain name as well as hosting. The site will be put up on the web and then, you’ll be set to start driving visitors to your website.
If you’re still unsure, please read through the following services that we provide:
- Unique web site design
- Splash pages
- Forum designs
- Blog designs
- Custom graphics
- So much more…
Please contact us at your easiest convenience so that we can set you up with a free consultation. Having a website is a really great move for your company. Set your website up now so that you can enjoy the benefits of a website for your company.
Tampa Video Production and Video Editing, Website Design and SEO
Perhaps you are thinking about having a commercial made for your company. You want to advertise this new product that you’re providing, but don’t have the technical ability to make it. Or, perhaps you’re tremendously web savvy and want to get a link bait video made that will go viral around the web, all with links back to your site to give you a big surge in both links and traffic. If you’re either of these people, you should consider contacting us so that we can do a video for you.
Some of what we do at Tampa Web Design is a lot of video production. The way it works is simple. You call us, set up a free consultation, and we go over a series of details. Do you want the video to be funny or serious? Provide a lot of information or just a little with contact information? Be long or be short? We take notes throughout the entire consultation and then we give you some of our ideas that we, as the technical side of things, think will really work well. We give you these ideas and then, once we figure out a final idea, we get to work.
The reason you want to get a video made, especially if you’re a growing company, is because it gives you a chance to get some link bait. When blogs were growing large, a lot of bloggers used videos to try and market their site. They’d provide information about a certain topic and then let that video go viral on YouTube. The same can happen for your company. If you own a company that does landscaping, you can have a video made that discuss great ways to make your front lawn look good without a lot of money, for example. By doing this, you are getting links, traffic, and providing valuable information.
Most importantly, though, you are getting your name heard. The more people hear your name, the better it will be in the future when someone goes, “I need someone to do landscaping.” If you had been the one that made this video, they’ll remember you, look you up in the search engines (If your SEO is good) and then contact you. If you provide a service (information) for free, people are bound to contact you to get more help which is when you can say, “this is how much it’ll cost.” You give a little and get a lot. Contact us if you’re interested in having a video produced for your company.
Tampa Search Engine Optimization, Onsite and Offsite SEO for Tampa FL
You may have contacted us to create your website, you may not have. Whether or not you did, one of the things that you are, more likely, going to want to do is drive traffic to your website as fast as you can. The more traffic you can drive to your site and the faster you can do it, the more successful your website is going to be and, in return, the more successful your business is going to be. However, how can you possibly drive business to your website without having a ton of money? SEO is the best way to do that.
SEO is Search Engine Optimization. At Tampa Web Design, we offer that. You can contact us and what we will do is help you do research into figuring out which keywords are powerful keywords for you to rank for, help you to determine what long tail keywords are beneficial, and then set you up with a plan to get your website ranking. We’ll execute this plan and help you to start ranking in the search engines.
The difference between us and a lot of other SEO companies in Tampa is that we understand the ins and outs of SEO. We know it is not just an external thing. Because we design and code websites as well as do SEO for them, we can go into the site and ensure that the code is working perfectly and has the correct keywords on them. This will guarantee that the site ranks properly in the search engines and doesn’t have anything faulty going on with it. It might seem farfetched, but we know what we’re doing.
So, why hire us? It’s simple. Having a website is great, but if no one comes to your website, has it done anything for your company? No. You want to use search engine optimization because as your website starts to rank higher and higher in the search engines, you’ll receive more traffic which will, in turn, result in more business. It’s a worthy investment for your website and one that will pay itself back time and time again.
If you’re still unsure, please feel free to contact us and let us know what questions you have. We’ll answer these questions and, if you’re ready to begin, schedule you for a consultation. Then we can go to work on getting your website ranked in the search engines.